This blog was contributed by Rainbow Hospitals, Bangalore.
Every child must have a pediatrician instead of being sent to the family GP for treatment. We explain the qualities that the best pediatrician must possess.
In India, we follow a system of going to the ‘family doctor’ for all our health problems. We see specialists only when the family GP advises us to do so. We tend to follow this system for our children too. But every child must have a pediatrician who knows his history right from the time he was a baby, so that the correct treatment plan may be devised for the child.
Our children are falling ill…
Rising pollution levels, diseases caused by pets, stress due to school work and other childhood problems are all combining to make children in Bangalore quite unhealthy. Then there is the risk of developing childhood obesity and early onset diabetes after eating the wrong kind of food and not getting enough exercise. An alarmingly high number of children in Bangalore prefer to stay indoors watching television or playing games on the computer and eating junk food at least three times a week.
As hard as one tries to ignore it, the fact is that our children are falling prey to several illnesses and disorders. If your child falls ill or shows a propensity to allergies, constant cold and cough or other chronic ailments, it is time to look for the best pediatrician in Bangalore who can hold your child’s hand through every big or small illness.
Why have a pediatrician?
A pediatrician is a doctor who specialises in treating babies, children and teenagers. The doctor is skilled in the science of children’s development and health, and is especially attuned to the unique needs of young children who may not be able to adequately describe their own symptoms. It is important that your child have his own pediatrician in Bangalore – do not entrust your usual family doctor with the task of treating even the young ones in your family. Treating children is a pediatrician’s domain.
What is the best pediatrician in Bangalore like?
- Since he or she must work with children, the doctor’s manner must be easygoing and gentle.
- Sometimes, the child is afraid to speak up in front of his parents or may be unable to articulate what he is experiencing. The pediatrician must be skilled enough to ask the right questions without pushing the child. The patient must feel that the doctor can be trusted with information.
- The doctor must not discount the child’s or parents’ concerns, nor amplify an ailment. Parents are extremely worried when their child is ill, so the pediatrician must have a reassuring manner. This is especially important if the doctor has grim news to share.
- Not every pediatrician is a specialist. If your child’s illness is out of the domain expertise of the doctor you have approached, he must refer you to the correct doctor at once.
- The pediatrician must work with a well-equipped treatment facility that houses every specialisation under one roof. This is important during the times that several tests and scans are recommended for your child; these can be performed at one facility itself without making you run around at different locations with a young child. It is always best to consult with a pediatrician working at a renowned multi specialty hospital so that different doctors can come together to examine a case and provide you with quick diagnosis and treatment.