Horror stories about childhood obesity and juvenile diabetes seem to be floating around town and you can’t help but wonder “is there anything healthythat my child might actually enjoy eating?!” These Banana Walnut Muffins are not only healthy, but also delicious, making for the perfect after-school snack for your kids. The ingredients are so basic that chances are that you won’t have to do much shopping, and the recipe is so simple that you can enjoy making these tasty treats along with your children.
What you need
- ¼ cup mashed bananas
- 2 tsp chopped walnuts (akhrot)
- 4 tbsp plain flour (maida)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp rolled oats (try Quaker Oats for quick cooking)
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ cup butter
What to do
- Mix baking powder into the flour and keep aside
- Smooth butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon till you have a nice and creamy mixture
- Add mashed bananas and vanilla essence and mix thoroughly
- Now add walnuts and oatmeal to the flour mixture and mix well
- Spoon this mixture into six greased and dusted muffin moulds. These moulds (either of paper or tin foil) are easily available in local convenient stores
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150ºC for approximately 15-20 minutes, when a knife or skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean
- Cool the muffin and remove from the mould
- The muffins are best served warm
- These muffins make a great birthday treat when topped with icing and sprinkles!
- You can also try a similar recipe with various fruits and flavours, using apples, cinnamon, or even chocolate bits!