We must also be aware that excessive intake over years can cause iron to accumulate in the liver and heart thereby damaging their function. Therefore continuous intake is not a good idea.
Iodized salt and dairy and ensure that the body gets its supply of iodine, which plays a pivotal role in the formation of thyroxin .This hormone regulates all the body’s functions and effects the development of the nervous system.
Fluoride is important for the prevention of tooth decay. Fluoride consumed in water appears to have an effect at the root level in children before teeth erupt, as well as a surface effect after teeth have erupted. However high intake (therefore the restriction in the quantity in kid’s toothpastes) damages the bones and kidneys.
A supplement that I feel is really underrated is zinc, which is very essential in maintaining the integrity of the immune system. Deficiency makes children vulnerable to infections, especially diarrheal, skin and lung infections.
- Nuts and legumes are relatively good plant sources of zinc.
- Zinc bioavailability (the fraction of zinc retained and used by the body) is relatively high in meat and eggs.
- Please supplement zinc during recovery from the above mentioned conditions.
The mineral magnesium is involved in more than 300 essential metabolic reactions and various cellular processes.
- Good dietary sources of magnesium include nuts and green leafy vegetables because magnesium is part of chlorophyll—the green pigment in plants.
Copper and molybdenum are essential enzyme components and selenium is an important antioxidant. Chromium works closely with insulin to regulate blood sugar (glucose) levels.
- Unrefined flour, nuts and cheese are good sources of these compounds.
Another supplement group that is not addressed often is that of essential fatty acids or polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are important for the structure and functioning of cell membranes, vision, reproduction of gene expression, and nervous system function. It is good to include them in the diet.
Although I agree that a balanced diet is the best nutritional insurance, mineral supplements are necessary investments from time to time.