I would like to reiterate some of the benefits that a student can look forward to from enrolling in a MOOC, either an EdX one, or any other:
- You can supplement your high-school knowledge by taking college-level courses in your chosen subjects.
- Students have the option of selecting courses that they are interested in and studying them in-depth, even if they are not studying these subjects in school. You may be studying science in high school, but can always take an online course in English Poetry from Wordsworth to Eliot!
- These courses enable a person to study something they are passionate about but may not be pursuing in the future, so you ‘can have your cake, and eat it too’!
- The discussion board and group chats are beneficial – they lead to interactive learning and are also helpful for finding out more information on a particular aspect.
- There is a variety of activities and assignments to complete within the courses that can enhance one’s learning – so it’s not just textbook learning.
- You can test your competency and interest in a certain area to see if you want to take it up in college.
- Most importantly, it prepares you for how college will be in terms of rigour and structure.
So what are you waiting for? Check out MOOCs now and enroll in one now!