If you want handmade paper for your art projects and cards, but think it’s not worth the extravagance, don’t worry. Here’s a simple way to make textured paper at home at a minimal cost. And here’s the clincher: you can explore your city at the same time!
Here is what you will need:
- A bicycle or running shoes – anything that helps you get around!
- Many sheets of paper (plain, A-4 type, construction, coloured, recycled, newspaper, etc.)
- Art materials like pencils, sketch pens, paints and brushes, and crayons
And here’s what you’re going to do:
- Walk around the streets, or cycle around the neighbourhood until you find an interesting and appropriate surface. This could be a rough wall, a sidewalk, a cracked door or any other old and uneven surface.
- Hold your paper firmly against the surface and go over it with your colouring materials to get interesting shapes and textures like spots, cracks, jagged designs, patterns and grains. Be gentle to prevent tears or holes in your paper.
- And that’s it! – You have your own textured paper and, while making it, you’ve discovered parts of your city! Now, you can explore old temples, churches, mosques, shops, cemeteries, and museums and get all sorts of rubbings from your own native city.
- You can keep what you’ve made and start a collection of textured papers compiled from different places you happen to visit. What a unique way to remember a place!
- You can also use these papers to make creative gift wrappers, notebook covers, cards, book covers and bookmarks; these also make for fabulous souvenirs and gifts.