Has the marzipan in bakeries and shops made your mouth water? Whether you have a confectioner’s thumb or not, this almond marzipan recipe is a delicious way to have fun in the kitchen and make a great dessert too. Marzipan can be made in different colours and moulded into shapes of fruits, objects, and even animals.
What you need:
- 1 cup almond powder
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar (the finer the sugar, the more mouldable your marzipan)
- ½ tbsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp egg white (slightly beaten) – Are you vegan? In that case, try replacing the egg with 2 tablespoons of corn flour and 1 tablespoon of water. Sometimes, even a small, mashed banana may do the trick
- A few dollops of butter
- Few drops of the food colouring of your choice
What to do:
- Mix the almond powder with 1½ cups of sugar and add some water to form a ball
- Smooth the butter and remaining sugar together with a wooden spoon until you get a nice and creamy textur
- Now, add the remaining sugar, almond extract, and egg whites (or the alternatives) to make a clay-like mixture
- It’s time to mix in the colours! Add the food colour depending on the shape of your mould
- This is your marzipan dough! Just transfer your mixture into a 1-inch deep tray and press in your shapes your marzipan is ready!