This blog was contributed by Rengarajan M. He has over 18 years of experience in the education spac. He played an integral part in creating reputed brands such as Kidzee, Mt.Litera Zee School and Oi Playschool, and has setup over 500 preschools ain India.
Once your toddler crosses the age of 18 months, he/she is now all set to walk, run and climb with greater skills. You will now notice a new sense of independence emerging in your toddler’s mannerisms. You may often notice your toddler copying your daily activities like brushing hair, dressing up, and feeding. At the age of one, your toddler may be working on a wobbly walk, or just starting to use words, but as he/she grows, will gradually start balancing briefly on one foot and speaking in short sentences. This is an important time during which you can include a number of stimulation techniques and activities to help your child’s cognitive development. During this period, toddlers will learn and enjoy more through games and activities played with you and others.
Stimulation technique 1: Level up the motor games
• Make an in-house bowling alley with empty water bottles as pins and show your toddler how to roll a ball to knock down the pins.
• Play chasing games with your toddler around the room saying “I’m going to get you!”.
Stimulation technique 2: Teach something new
• Let your toddler roll different objects down a ramp and learn about gravity.
• Play a chef game. Let your toddler measure and serve snacks to you.
Stimulation technique 3: Make some noise
• Pretend to play car racing with your toddler. Make a lot of engine noises and pretend to turn the “steering wheel.”
• Put on some upbeat music and dance with your toddler around the house.